AES Submits Bids to NYPA to Construct Clean Coal and Biomass Facility
AES has submitted two bids to construct a clean coal and biomass facility in Upstate New York in response to a request for proposal by the New York Power Authority.
AES’s proposals include a 500 MW generation plant located at AES’s Jennison site in Bainbridge, New York and a 700 MW facility at its Somerset plant in Barker, New York. Both proposed facilities meet the environmental performance criteria set by the Governor’s Advanced Clean Coal Power Plant Initiative. If selected, AES said construction of its plant would be completed by 2013 and NYPA would purchase power generated by the facility through a long-term contract.
Both facilities will use existing infrastructure at the plant sites. According to AES, each facility will include advanced boiler designs and emission control equipment to ensure reliability factors reaching 95 percent and the capability to capture 90 percent of the plants’ CO2 emissions. Both plants will be able to capture CO2 either during combustion with oxy-firing technology or post-combustion with advanced CO2 scrubbing technology, once CO2 sequestration becomes a viable option. In addition, AES will construct the facilities with the ability to co-fire biomass.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market