Owens Corning Wins EPA SmartWay Award
Owens Corning is one of 24 recipients of the Environmental Protection Agency’s 2006 SmartWay Excellence Award. The award recognizes accomplishments and leadership in the EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership, a program designed to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution by developing fuel- saving and energy-efficient practices in the freight industry.
Since joining the SmartWay Transport Partnership last year, Owens Corning says it has promoted the benefits of the program to carriers through selection and contract processes, ongoing communication and recognition events. The company currently uses 63 SmartWay partners for transport.
In addition to its partnerships with SmartWay carriers, Owens Corning was recognized for investing in technology to track, measure and reduce carrier waiting times at facilities and establishing anti-idle guidelines to reduce emissions and increase driver safety on company property.
Owens Corning was one of only four shippers to receive the award. Other recipients included carriers, private fleets, third-party logistics companies, state trucking associations and software providers.
The SmartWay Transport Partnership is a voluntary collaboration between the EPA and various sectors of the freight industry designed to increase energy efficiency while significantly reducing greenhouse gases and air pollution. By 2012, this initiative aims to reduce between 33 – 66 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions and up to 200,000 tons of nitrogen oxide emissions per year. At the same time, the initiative will result in fuel savings of up to 150 million barrels of oil annually.
Energy Manager News
- Six Critical Tips to Transform Your Organization’s Energy Management
- Supreme Court to Review Demand Response Decision
- Dartmouth Upgrades Field House Lighting with Digital Lumens
- Tesla Needs More Partnerships for Powerwall Success, Says Lux
- College Installs 2.5 MW of Solar
- Gexpro, Geli, Ideal Power, LG Chem Join for Battery Energy Storage
- LEDs Facilitate Retail Shopping Applications
- The Hidden Pitfalls of Natural Gas Cost Savings