Holiday Push Begins for Carbon Offset Companies
Green Mountain Energy, which launched a new carbon offset purchase site two weeks ago called BeGreenNow, has begun its holiday push with an email marketing campaign to people who registered on the new site.
Dubbed “Gift of Green,” the campaign sells trees planted on behalf of people who the gift is bought for.
According to the email, an average tree will absorb as much carbon dioxide over its lifetime as not driving your car an estimated 740 miles. The email landing page prices the gift at $9.95.
The email also says that: “Your friends will receive a card telling them the good news about the tree planted in their honor. It even comes with a little tree ornament that’s not just decorative, it’s functional. Made of seed paper, this ornament can be planted to grow cilantro!”
Terrapass has put up its gift page where “Every TerraPass gift comes with a personalized holiday card!”
Expect to see much more carbon offset marketing this December as the company’s continue to become more marketing savvy.
Green Wombat has written about The Science Museum of London and UK specialty gift retailer MoonEstates.com selling the Climate Relief Gift Pack, which includes about 220 pounds worth of carbon credits bought on the European carbon trading market, known as the EU Emissions Trading Scheme.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls