Holiday Push Begins for Carbon Offset Companies
Green Mountain Energy, which launched a new carbon offset purchase site two weeks ago called BeGreenNow, has begun its holiday push with an email marketing campaign to people who registered on the new site.
Dubbed “Gift of Green,” the campaign sells trees planted on behalf of people who the gift is bought for.
According to the email, an average tree will absorb as much carbon dioxide over its lifetime as not driving your car an estimated 740 miles. The email landing page prices the gift at $9.95.
The email also says that: “Your friends will receive a card telling them the good news about the tree planted in their honor. It even comes with a little tree ornament that’s not just decorative, it’s functional. Made of seed paper, this ornament can be planted to grow cilantro!”
Terrapass has put up its gift page where “Every TerraPass gift comes with a personalized holiday card!”
Expect to see much more carbon offset marketing this December as the company’s continue to become more marketing savvy.
Green Wombat has written about The Science Museum of London and UK specialty gift retailer MoonEstates.com selling the Climate Relief Gift Pack, which includes about 220 pounds worth of carbon credits bought on the European carbon trading market, known as the EU Emissions Trading Scheme.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform