Virgin Unveils Fuel-Saving Plan
Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic plans to cut aviation emissions by towing aircraft to take-off areas at London airports, Reuters reports.
Virgin hopes to reduce the time engines are running before takeoff to about 10 minutes. Trials will take place at Heathrow and Gatwick using Boeing 747-400 planes, with a longer trial expected in the first quarter of 2007.
Virgin is also talking to airports in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York about similar trials.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend