Abbott Joins GreenFleet
Abbott is the first company to sign on (via Greenbiz) to the GreenFleet program which was developed jointly by PHH Arval and Environmental Defense to reduce pollution among the approximately nine million U.S. vehicles registered to commercial vehicle fleets.
The move should help Abbott meet its corporate goal of reducing operational greenhouse gas emissions to 10 percent below its 2004 levels by 2010.
“Our business revolves around helping people lead healthier lives. This includes minimizing our impact on climate change and other environmental issues,” said Bob Accarino, director, global environmental affairs, Abbott. “We’re proud to work with PHH Arval and Environmental Defense in this pilot program as we work together to find ways to improve the environment and educate people about the impact vehicle emissions have on the planet.”
As part of the PHH GreenFleet pilot program, Abbott established a greenhouse gas baseline and incorporated more efficient vehicles into the fleet. In order to encourage drivers to choose more environmentally friendly vehicles, Abbott offered upgrade incentives such as satellite radios and sunroofs and clearly communicated with drivers about the environmental impacts of their choices. As a result, in the most recent fleet selection, 20 percent of drivers chose more fuel-efficient vehicles, improving the Abbott fleet’s average fuel economy, reducing average per vehicle greenhouse gas emissions and decreasing projected per vehicle operating costs.
GreenFleet participation includes: in-depth analysis and recommendations to improve efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions; quarterly measurement and reporting of emissions; and resources to offset remaining emissions.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight