‘Think Green Champions’ Help Toyota Reach Zero Waste to Landfill
The TMS headquarters in Torrance, California has 5,000 employees, business partners and visitors in 15 buildings each day.
Through a comprehensive campus-wide recycling program and further waste sorting at CR&R Waste and Recycling Services’ material recovery facility, TMS now achieves a recycling rate of 80 percent. Remaining material is utilized as fuel to produce electrical energy.
In the first three quarters of 2006, TMS diverted 615 tons of materials from landfill – equivalent to the weight of 420 Toyota Prius hybrids. By January 2007, TMS reached zero waste to landfill.
To accomplish this, Toyota has labeled certain employees from each department as environmental ambassadors (Think Green! Champions), who educate fellow employees, implement sustainable practices and maximize waste reduction efforts.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management