‘Think Green Champions’ Help Toyota Reach Zero Waste to Landfill
The TMS headquarters in Torrance, California has 5,000 employees, business partners and visitors in 15 buildings each day.
Through a comprehensive campus-wide recycling program and further waste sorting at CR&R Waste and Recycling Services’ material recovery facility, TMS now achieves a recycling rate of 80 percent. Remaining material is utilized as fuel to produce electrical energy.
In the first three quarters of 2006, TMS diverted 615 tons of materials from landfill – equivalent to the weight of 420 Toyota Prius hybrids. By January 2007, TMS reached zero waste to landfill.
To accomplish this, Toyota has labeled certain employees from each department as environmental ambassadors (Think Green! Champions), who educate fellow employees, implement sustainable practices and maximize waste reduction efforts.
Energy Manager News
- Making Solar Inverters Smarter
- Unlocking the Power of Building Data
- Lockheed Martin Installs the GridStar Storage System at Syracuse Facility
- Schneider Electric Unveils Continuous Efficiency
- Avista Lauds ‘Fair’ Settlement in Idaho Rate Case
- BGE’s SEED Program Offers Energy Discounts to 19 Commercial Customers
- Retailer Offers 100% Solar Plan in Texas
- Dissecting the Data Revolution