London Releases Sustainable Development Strategy for 2012 Olympics
The London 2012 Olympic Games are being billed as the greenest games in modern times by the The Olympic Delivery Authority.
During the construction phase, the ODA says it will set new standards for the sustainable design and construction of major sports venues and infrastructure used for the Games. By planning the games and legacy together now -? five-and-a-half years out from 2012 – the ODA hopes its efforts will ensure a lasting social, sustainable and environmental legacy for east London.
“The prize for hosting the 2012 Games will be to transform one of the most derelict and disadvantaged parts of Europe into a revitalised, sustainable, new urban quarter fit for the 21st century, said Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London.
The key parts of ODA’s strategy are:
Climate Change: Aiming to minimize the carbon emissions associated with the Olympic Park and venues through a 50 percent reduction in carbon dioxide by 2013. This will be achieved through a combination of on-site energy generation and renewable energy with the project future-proofed so it can go even further as new technology allows.
Waste and materials: To reduce waste through design, 90 percent of demolition material to be reused or recycled and at least 20 percent of materials used in permanent venues and associated works and the Olympic Village to be recycled.
Water: To ensure efficient water use, reuse and recycling, with a target for a 40 percent reduction in the demand for potable water in permanent venues and a 20 percent reduction target for residential development.
Transport and mobility: To prioritize walking, cycling and the use of public transport to and within the Olympic Park and venues, including building over 80km of walking and cycling routes and to aspire to 50 percent of construction materials to be transported to the Park by water and rail.
Energy Manager News
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: July 22, 2016
- In Washington State, a New Rate Is Approved for Cryptocurrency Server Farms
- El Paso Electric Files Unopposed Settlement in Texas Rate Case
- PACE Financing Makes Progress but Still Encounters Opposition
- Grand View: Datacenter Cooling Market Worth $17.78B by 2024
- Idaho Opens First Solar Farm
- What You Need To Know About Green Insulation: Green Seal’s New Standard
- Obama Administration to Provide Up to $4.5 billion in Loan Guarantees for Electric Charging Stations