Whirlpool Joins EPA’s SmartWay Transport
Whirlpool is the latest company to join SmartWay Transport, the partnership between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the freight industry that’s designed to increase energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution.
SmartWay’s goal is to reduce carbon dioxide by 33 to 66 million metric tons and up to 200,000 tons of nitrogen oxide per year by 2012.
Whirlpool has committed to utilize SmartWay Transport Carrier Partners for a greater portion of its freight in the future. In addition, Whirlpool expects to assess other elements of its transportation practices and implement additional efficiency improvements such as increased Intermodal shipping, idle reduction policies, and warehouse improvements to include moving from propane to electric clamp trucks.
Whirlpool also gets to use the SmartWay brand in its advertising.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Efficiency and Waste Disposal Grow Closer
- Worcester School Gets Grant to Complete LED Retrofit
- Cree Recalls Lamps
- Submissions Now Accepted for Energy Manager Today Awards
- Atlantic City Electric Rate Increase Settled; PowerAhead Funding Deferred to Phase II
- TVA Reduces Budget Requirements and Continues Investing in Cleaner Power
- Commercial Refrigeration Benefits from Efficiency and Environmental Efforts
- TechNavio Releases Commercial AC Report