20 Green Companies Set to Change the World
Plenty Magazine has predicted the next green companies set to change the world. The Plenty 20 includes members of the Fortune 500 whose initiatives are changing big business’s relationship with the environment as well as smaller start-up companies.
Nanosolar earned the top spot with its efforts to make solar power as affordable as electricity produced by coal and natural gas.
Its thin film technology involves “printing” a microscopic layer of solar cells onto metal sheets as thin as aluminum foil. The resulting panels are lighter, cheaper, and as efficient as traditional solar panels, but they require no silicon, short supplies of which have caused many solar companies to stumble, according to Plenty. And Nanosolar is producing the cells at $1 per watt, or one-tenth of the cost of traditional cells.
The rest of the Plenty 20:
2. ECD Ovonics
3. GreenFuel Technologies
4. Envirofit International
5. General Electric
6. Organic Valley
7. Tesla motors
8. Southwest Windpower
11. Whole Foods
12. Green Mountain Energy
14. Goldman Sachs
15. Ormat Technologies
16. Ice Energy
17. Green Sandwich Technologies
18. Green Mountain Coffee
Energy Manager News
- Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino Doesn’t Consider Cogeneration a Gamble
- Clean Power Plan: Obama’s Team Confident About Pitch to Supreme Court
- BuildingIQ Introduces Managed Services
- Solar Power Breakthrough Near?
- Battery Storage Giving Businesses a Break
- Could Ratepayers Foot the Bill for New Hampshire’s Pipelines?
- CenterPoint to Acquire Continuum’s Retail Energy Services Division
- LED Projects Must Be Carefully Planned