Another Report Criticizes Carbon Offset Programs
Besides the usual objections to offset programs, it also explores how “projects that look great on the website or in the leaflet are often, in practice, mismanaged, ineffective or detrimental to the local communities who have to endure them.”
For instance, it looks at aproject that has come under criticism that saw rock band Coldplay offset the launch of one of its albums by paying the Carbon Neutral Company to manage a mango tree plantation in India.
The study is extremely partisan, according to Green Business News, but any company that has purchased offsets or is considering a purchase should read it -? at least to be aware of the counter arguments.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Seeing U-Haul’s HQ Parking Structure in a New (LED) Light
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies: The Case for Moving Beyond Batteries
- Nuclear Giant Exelon Wants to Invest in Wind Energy in Ohio
- Arby’s Reports on Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives
- Navigant: Smart Meter Sector Has “Plateaued”
- Poll: 75% of Large U.S. Corporations Say They Will Buy Renewables Within 18 Months
- Duke Energy Progress Customers to See Fuel Cost-Recovery Savings
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity