Another Report Criticizes Carbon Offset Programs
Besides the usual objections to offset programs, it also explores how “projects that look great on the website or in the leaflet are often, in practice, mismanaged, ineffective or detrimental to the local communities who have to endure them.”
For instance, it looks at aproject that has come under criticism that saw rock band Coldplay offset the launch of one of its albums by paying the Carbon Neutral Company to manage a mango tree plantation in India.
The study is extremely partisan, according to Green Business News, but any company that has purchased offsets or is considering a purchase should read it -? at least to be aware of the counter arguments.
Energy Manager News
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform
- Fulham Retrofit Kits EPA Approved
- Brookings Study: Net Metering Offers Cost Benefits to All Utility Customers
- Window Films: Low Hanging Fruit for Efficiency Gains