Another Report Criticizes Carbon Offset Programs
Besides the usual objections to offset programs, it also explores how “projects that look great on the website or in the leaflet are often, in practice, mismanaged, ineffective or detrimental to the local communities who have to endure them.”
For instance, it looks at aproject that has come under criticism that saw rock band Coldplay offset the launch of one of its albums by paying the Carbon Neutral Company to manage a mango tree plantation in India.
The study is extremely partisan, according to Green Business News, but any company that has purchased offsets or is considering a purchase should read it -? at least to be aware of the counter arguments.
Energy Manager News
- Senators National Energy Policy Vision Leads to a Hopeful Future
- Google Builds Data Center on Site of Old Coal Plant
- EPA Honors 3 Facilities for Combined Heat and Power
- Cheese Factory Installs Anaerobic Digestion
- Certification Program Established for Green Button Standard
- Diesel Genset Market to Reach $68B by 2024, Navigant Says
- Emulsion Mist Collectors Designed for Heavy Industry
- IKEA Plugs In Fuel Cells at California Store