Another Report Criticizes Carbon Offset Programs
Besides the usual objections to offset programs, it also explores how “projects that look great on the website or in the leaflet are often, in practice, mismanaged, ineffective or detrimental to the local communities who have to endure them.”
For instance, it looks at aproject that has come under criticism that saw rock band Coldplay offset the launch of one of its albums by paying the Carbon Neutral Company to manage a mango tree plantation in India.
The study is extremely partisan, according to Green Business News, but any company that has purchased offsets or is considering a purchase should read it -? at least to be aware of the counter arguments.
Energy Manager News
- Oracle and Opower to Team Up to Make Big Data Even Bigger
- Western EIM Benefits Are Up to Nearly $65M with NV Energy Participation
- FirstEnergy Ohio Seeks Changes to Rate Plan to Ensure Price Stability for Customers
- Utility Data Aggregation: How to Take the Best Approach
- Making the IoT Work for Building Managers
- There’s Nothing More Sacred Than Coal in Coal Country. Ask Hillary Clinton
- SunPower and the Army Work on Solar Project in Alabama
- Climate and Energy Policies Working