Does Anyone Read Your CSR Report?
In the first week following Sun’s January 29 release of its 2006 CSR Report, the report was only downloaded from Sun’s Website 247 times by employees, according to a blog post by Scott Lynn, Sun’s corporate social responsibility program manager. While information on external downloads for the last three days in January was unavailable, only 58 external downloads were made between February 1 and February 6.
“Do you mean to tell me that in a company of 38,000 employees, only 247 of them bothered to download the company’s first-ever corporate social responsibility report?” Lynn writes. Sun did promote the report – the CEO sent an email to all employees directing them to the PDF file, marketing and sales staff shared it with customers, and a feature story was posted on Sun’s internal Web site.
“If employees aren’t reading it, and they have a serious stake in our company’s work in this area, does that mean nobody is?” Lynn writes. “And if nobody is reading it, why are we reporting in the first place? Wouldn’t our resources be better used some other way?”
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland