New GEMI Tool Focuses On Long-Term Sustainability
The Global Environmental Management Initiative will be releasing a new tool, the GEMI Metrics Navigator (PDF). The tool is designed to help companies identify metrics that support business strategy, and put the numbers into a context that provides a roadmap to identify key metrics for actions that drive long-term sustainability.
“Progressive companies recognize that their performance is judged on many levels, not just their financial success,” said Jim Kearney, Director, EHS Evaluations, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Co-Chair of the GEMI Metrics Work Group that created the GEMI Metrics Navigator. “Using appropriate metrics to describe programs or back up statements of progress can enhance business’ credibility.”
“This new tool does not recommend any particular path for a company to take, nor does it advocate a common set of indicators for industry,” said Leslie Montgomery, Environmental Stewardship Program Manager, Southern Company and Co-Chair of the Work Group. “Organizations may wish to use the tool’s six-step process in full, or may simply use it as a reference to fine tune existing efforts. In either case, its use should bring to light opportunities to better set goals and communicate performance around company values and strategies.”
Earlier this year, GEMI released an interactive version of its sustainable development tool, the GEMI SD Planner, as well as a new tool, the GEMI SD Planner Gateway.
Energy Manager News
- The Evolution of Customer Renewable Energy Choice
- Target, adidas, Walmart Honored for Efficient Roof-Top Units
- Rising Tide of Energy Storage Floats all Boats
- Better Buildings Alliance Launches Indoor Lighting Campaign for Commercial Buildings
- Scaling of Energy Storage Market Hinges on ESSI Vendors
- CalCom Solar to Deploy 1.1MW at Dairy
- Raritan Combines DCIM, IT Management for Data Centers
- Army to Save $113M Over 19 Years with CHP Plant