New GEMI Tool Focuses On Long-Term Sustainability
The Global Environmental Management Initiative will be releasing a new tool, the GEMI Metrics Navigator (PDF). The tool is designed to help companies identify metrics that support business strategy, and put the numbers into a context that provides a roadmap to identify key metrics for actions that drive long-term sustainability.
“Progressive companies recognize that their performance is judged on many levels, not just their financial success,” said Jim Kearney, Director, EHS Evaluations, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Co-Chair of the GEMI Metrics Work Group that created the GEMI Metrics Navigator. “Using appropriate metrics to describe programs or back up statements of progress can enhance business’ credibility.”
“This new tool does not recommend any particular path for a company to take, nor does it advocate a common set of indicators for industry,” said Leslie Montgomery, Environmental Stewardship Program Manager, Southern Company and Co-Chair of the Work Group. “Organizations may wish to use the tool’s six-step process in full, or may simply use it as a reference to fine tune existing efforts. In either case, its use should bring to light opportunities to better set goals and communicate performance around company values and strategies.”
Earlier this year, GEMI released an interactive version of its sustainable development tool, the GEMI SD Planner, as well as a new tool, the GEMI SD Planner Gateway.
Energy Manager News
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform
- Fulham Retrofit Kits EPA Approved
- Brookings Study: Net Metering Offers Cost Benefits to All Utility Customers
- Window Films: Low Hanging Fruit for Efficiency Gains
- Some Insurance Companies Invested Too Heavily in Fossil Fuels, says Ceres
- Apple Defends 100% Renewable Energy Claim
- Ontario Investing $900M in Affordable Housing
- ERC: Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending May 20, 2016