EDP Acquires Horizon, Jumps to 4th Largest Wind-Power Producer
EDP-Energias de Portugal SA, the country’s biggest electricity utility, is buying Horizon Wind Energy LLC of Houston, Texas from Goldman Sachs Group for $2.15 billion, Bloomberg reports.
The acquisition boosts EDP’s ranking to fourth from sixth among the world’s largest wind-power producers.
EDP has branched into Spain and the U.S. because it faces growing competition at home
Horizon owns projects with 559 megawatts of production capacity and has 997 megawatts under construction. Horizon will boost EDP’s capacity from wind to more than 3,800 megawatts by the end of this year from 1,600 in 2006.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B