EDP Acquires Horizon, Jumps to 4th Largest Wind-Power Producer
EDP-Energias de Portugal SA, the country’s biggest electricity utility, is buying Horizon Wind Energy LLC of Houston, Texas from Goldman Sachs Group for $2.15 billion, Bloomberg reports.
The acquisition boosts EDP’s ranking to fourth from sixth among the world’s largest wind-power producers.
EDP has branched into Spain and the U.S. because it faces growing competition at home
Horizon owns projects with 559 megawatts of production capacity and has 997 megawatts under construction. Horizon will boost EDP’s capacity from wind to more than 3,800 megawatts by the end of this year from 1,600 in 2006.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Go It Alone When Retrofitting
- LinkedIn Campus Gets Mobile EV Charging
- Many Vendors Vie for Lighting Controls Business
- Johnson Controls Opens Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) Training Center
- Acquiring Renewable Energy Should Be Easier, Facebook Says
- Energy Upgrades at School District Financed by NY Power Authority
- Fusing System Helps Solar Customers with Overcurrent Protection
- ABM Joins Balboa Park Sustainability Council