Hotels Go Eco-Friendly
DoubleTree Guest Suites in Times Square has two floors of eco-friendly rooms that include wastebaskets marked “recycling,” energy-saving light bulbs in all fixtures, water-saving showerheads, and on-the-shower-wall containers filled with shampoo and conditioner, as well as many other environmental efforts, Hotel Chatter reports.
Some Kimpton Hotels have “eco-floors” too. San-Francisco based boutique chain, JDV Hospitality has two hotels that are certified green businesses.
Hyatt Hotels have also been recognized for their environmentally friendly efforts. Their recently announced brand Andaz plans on being especially green with organic food and beverage, fully biodegradable products and focusing on energy efficiency.
Marriott International says that more than 85 of its hotels will earn the Energy Star label -? signifying 35 percent less energy use than average buildings.
Rezidor Hotel Group says it’s the first hotel company worldwide to offer all guests a carbon offsetting program.
Vail Resorts is planning a $1 billion project to transform a 9.5-acre site, currently known as West LionsHead, into what Vail is calling a green multi-use resort village consisting of residences, a hotel, offices, retail shops and restaurants, mountain operations facilities, a public parking garage, a new gondola and related skier portal and a public park.
Wen-I Chang hopes to build a series of resorts that will blend environmental consciousness with the creature comforts consumers have come to expect
A big chain that seems to be missing on this Green Hotel/eco-friendly trend is Starwood Hotels, Hotel Chatter reports, saying that the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons are also lagging behind.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland