Greening the Distribution Center
Manhattan Associates has put together a list of tips to help companies green their distribution centers, Supply & Demand Chain Executive reports. Try these green initiatives in your distribution centers:
1. Integrate material handling and warehouse management systems to move and touch products fewer times and reduce forklift usage.
2. Streamline warehouse processes for higher levels of cross docking and minimize inventory and increase product turns. More flow-through means smaller distribution centers.
3. Create a more efficient transportation network to reduce empty hauls and dead ends in the movement of goods.
4. Best-of-breed planning, forecasting and replenishment will drive more efficiency in manufacturing and distribution.
5. Using cartonization in warehouse management systems will let you allocate the right units to pick and then select the correct size and rigidity of the container to use, significantly reducing the use of cardboard.
6. RFID and voice-based technologies improve warehouse efficiency and reduce paper consumption.
Energy Manager News
- Put Safety First in LED Installations
- Microsoft: Data Centers to Use 50% Renewables by 2018
- Solar Installation Dedicated in Brooklyn
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures