Carbon Offset Checklist
With all the recent criticism of carbon offset programs, Amy Sims, of Global Action Plan, writing in the UK’s BusinessGreen Blog, offers some useful advice on why you should be careful when offsetting carbon emissions.
- Carbon offsetting should only be used as an absolute final step in reducing your carbon emissions – lighten your footprint first.
- If you have no choice but to travel, ensure the method you are using to offset is scientifically valid with the WWF Gold Standard, or will meet the UK’s new proposed code of practice currently under consultation.
- Seek proof that the offset program is additional – the project wasn’t going to be done anyway – and that the benefits of the project are long term.
- Be particularly wary of forestry programs as a neutralizing method – there are questions about the effectiveness of trees as a carbon sink.
Energy Manager News
- BMW Tests Fuel-Cell Car
- Researchers Develop Cell that Can Store Solar at Night
- Energy Efficiency Program Saves Texas College $4.4M
- White Efficiency Poses Challenge for Solid-State Lighting
- Senators National Energy Policy Vision Leads to a Hopeful Future
- Google Builds Data Center on Site of Old Coal Plant
- EPA Honors 3 Facilities for Combined Heat and Power
- Cheese Factory Installs Anaerobic Digestion