Carbon Offset Checklist
With all the recent criticism of carbon offset programs, Amy Sims, of Global Action Plan, writing in the UK’s BusinessGreen Blog,Â offers some useful advice on why you should be careful when offsetting carbon emissions.
- Carbon offsetting should only be used as an absolute final step in reducing your carbon emissions – lighten your footprint first.
- If you have no choice but to travel, ensure the method you are using to offset is scientifically valid with the WWF Gold Standard, or will meet the UK’s new proposed code of practice currently under consultation.
- Seek proof that the offsetÂ program is additional – the project wasn’t going to be done anyway – and that the benefits of the project are long term.
- Be particularly wary of forestryÂ programs as a neutralizing methodÂ - there are questions about the effectiveness of trees as a carbon sink.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses