Catalyst Releases Sustainability Report
Catalyst Paper has released its 2006 sustainability report (full report PDF, environmental section PDF). Catalyst was the top performer in a recent Globe article that graded nine Canadian Forest industry companies on their corporate social responsibility performance.
Here are a few of the environmental highlights of the report:
- As a member of the World Wildlife Fund’s Climate Savers program, Catalyst says it continues to meet its 2005 pledge to achieve a 70 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions over 1990 levels by 2010 -? equal to eliminating nearly one million tons of greenhouse gases annually.
- Catalyst is a member of The Climate Group, an organization of global leaders that are developing a voluntary carbon-offset standard.
- As part of an electricity conservation initiative, the company reduced purchased power by 100 GWh in 2006. Since that 100 GWh of electricity would have come from out-of-province sources, not using it prevented 100,000 tons of greenhouse gases from being generated.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions earned Catalyst recognition in a report released as part of the Conference Board of Canada’s Carbon Disclosure Project -? Canada 280 initiative. The Carbon Disclosure Project, supported by 225 institutional investors with $31 trillion in assets under management, surveyed more than 2,000 companies worldwide to assess their reaction to the risks and opportunities linked to climate change. Catalyst was one of 280 participating Canadian companies and one of only 25 identified as leaders in the Conference Board report.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management