Catalyst Releases Sustainability Report
Catalyst Paper has released its 2006 sustainability report (full report PDF, environmental section PDF). Catalyst was the top performer in a recent Globe article that graded nine Canadian Forest industry companies on their corporate social responsibility performance.
Here are a few of the environmental highlights of the report:
- As a member of the World Wildlife Fund’s Climate Savers program, Catalyst says it continues to meet its 2005 pledge to achieve a 70 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions over 1990 levels by 2010 -? equal to eliminating nearly one million tons of greenhouse gases annually.
- Catalyst is a member of The Climate Group, an organization of global leaders that are developing a voluntary carbon-offset standard.
- As part of an electricity conservation initiative, the company reduced purchased power by 100 GWh in 2006. Since that 100 GWh of electricity would have come from out-of-province sources, not using it prevented 100,000 tons of greenhouse gases from being generated.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions earned Catalyst recognition in a report released as part of the Conference Board of Canada’s Carbon Disclosure Project -? Canada 280 initiative. The Carbon Disclosure Project, supported by 225 institutional investors with $31 trillion in assets under management, surveyed more than 2,000 companies worldwide to assess their reaction to the risks and opportunities linked to climate change. Catalyst was one of 280 participating Canadian companies and one of only 25 identified as leaders in the Conference Board report.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool