NBC Universal Gets Large Dose Of Ecomagination
NBC Universal has launched “Get On Board,” a program to reduce greenhouse gases and raise awareness. It’s all part of General Electric’s (NBCU parent) ecomagination initiative. There was a lot of news out of GE yesterday: The company doubled sales from environmentally friendly products to $12 billion over the past two years and doubled renewable energy investments to $4 billion (you can see all their new products in that last jump too).
Here are the NBCU highlights:
- NBCU has committed to GHG reduction measures exceeding GE’s goal of reducing total GHG emissions by one percent before 2012. NBCU intends to reduce overall GHG emissions at least three percent between 2004 and 2012.
- It’s formed a panel on environmental initiatives, the NBCU Green Council, led by Bravo president Lauren Zalaznick.
- The company is launching carbon-neutral production efforts that involve reducing emissions, purchasing carbon emission offsets, using hybrid or electric production vehicles whenever possible, and launching recycling programs.
- iVillage will launch an “iGo Green” web channel aimed at women.
- NBC News has appointed Anne Thompson as Chief Environmental Affairs correspondent for all NBC News broadcasts.
- All DVDs distributed by Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures International Entertainment will carry messaging about going green.
- Live Earth will be broadcast across NBC Universal’s networks.
- Bravo’s suite of digital broadband properties (BravoTV.com, OutZoneTV.com, BrilliantButCancelled.com and getTRIO.com) are going green today with content branded “It’s Not Easy Being Green.”
- USA Network will air 30- and 60-second spots highlighting green as its character of the month.
- NBC Olympics will participate in all green initiatives from the Olympics Organizing Committee.
- Tram engines at Universal Studios Hollywood have been upgraded to high-efficiency diesel units.
- The Universal Studios lot has installed a 630 panel solar energy system located on approximately 2.5 acres of hillside property.
- NBC Universal is using reclaimed water for irrigation.
- NBC Universal has re-lamped parking structures and implemented energy-efficient lighting, chillers and boilers.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment