Sony Buys Geothermal For Tokyo’s Sony Building
Sony Corp. has signed an agreement for more than 10 million kWh of geothermal power per year with Japan Natural Energy Co., TechOn reports. Combined with its preceding contract for wind power generation of 5.5 million kWh, Sony will be issued a Green Power Certificate of up to 15.5 million kWh per year.
Sony has set a goal to reduce its greenhouse gas emission by seven percent on an absolute amount basis by 2010 from the amount it emitted in 2000. Of the green power Sony has contracted, approximately 2.9 million kWh will be allotted to power consumption in common area at Sony Building (Tokyo) from June 2007. Combined with the amount already allotted to the showroom area, green power will account for about 75 percent of overall power used at Sony Building, Sony said.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- SolarCity: We Have the World’s Most Efficient Rooftop Solar Panel
- Bridgestone Arena in Nashville Switches to LEDs
- Helping Building Automation Grow
- Municipalities Could Combine Small Cell and LED Upgrades
- Holistic Approach to Energy Savings in Dublin, Ohio Schools
- NYC One Step Closer to Net-Zero Energy Goal at Wastewater Treatment Plants
- ‘Better Buildings, Better Plants’ Saves $2.4B Over Five Years