Nau Buys Carbon Offsets, RECs
Clothing company Nau is purchasing carbon offsets and renewable energy certificates to reduce its carbon footprint in several parts of its business.
The carbon offsets, from The Climate Trust, will be applied to CO2 emissions associated with shipping products from factories to distribution centers, and from the distribution centers to Nau’s retail “Webfront” stores and to customers’ homes. Instead of encouraging in-store shopping, Nau offers free shipping and a 10 percent discount if customers order clothes online from these in-store kiosks.
Offsets will also be applied to employees’ corporate air travel.
The renewable energy certificates from wind and solar power being purchased from Bonneville Environmental Foundation will cover the electric power used to operate Nau’s retail stores and its office in Portland, Oregon. Nau has four stores located in Portland, Chicago, Boulder and Bellevue, WA.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland