Democrats & Republicans Plan Green Conventions
Democrats and Republicans are both planning to hold “green” national political conventions next year, The Hill reports.
Democrats are already requiring that firms competing to provide transportation for the Denver convention offer flex-fuel hybrid vehicles to carry delegates and media from hotel to convention center. And Democrats are handling housing reservations for the convention entirely online, which could save 50,000 sheets of paper. The DNC is also talking to official airline partners about incorporating into a contract an agreement that would allow the airlines or passengers to purchase carbon offsets.
The Republican National Committee is also planning to make its convention in the Twin Cities as energy-efficient as possible. Jeremy Hanson, a spokesman for Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, said that the Twin Cities are among the greenest cities in America, and that local officials in both cities are committed to having an energy-efficient event. Republican party officials are in talks with U.S. auto companies on providing flex-fuel vehicles to provide transportation, a GOP official said.
Energy Manager News
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports
- Want a Green and Energy Conscious Business? Try These Ideas
- Beazer Homes Wins Energy Star Award
- Infineon Unveils Integrated LED
- FMPA: Power Costs Expected to Dwindle 30% to 40% Within Years
- Name-Dropping: CUB and Illinois AG Say Nicor Advanced Energy Should Change Identity
- Saving Energy – In the Restroom
- UAB Getting First Solar Array