Green Car Rental Battle Heats Up
Car rental giants Hertz and Avis are adding thousands of new, fuel-efficient hybrid cars to their fleets this month, USAToday reports.
Hertz announced that it is putting 1,000 Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrids into its U.S. fleet this month. They will be available at 50 big airport locations and in Manhattan. The company expects to have nearly 2,000 hybrids in its 410,000-vehicle U.S. and European fleet by the end of this year and 4,300 by the middle of next year.
Avis saidÂ it will introduce 1,000 Priuses into its fleet by the end of this month. The Avis hybrids will primarily be available in California, with some in the Washington, D.C., area, Seattle and Portland, Oregon.
The moves follow a public relations initiative last week by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, highlighting what the company called its “unparalleled fleet of fuel-efficient vehicles,” which includes 3,000 gas-electric hybrids in the USA.
Hertz said today that it is donating $1 million to the National Park Foundation and, in recognition of New York City’s environmental initiatives, making a $250,000 contribution to The Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses