Successful Green Marketing Focuses On Consumer Needs
Green marketing must satisfy two objectives: Improved environmental quality and customer satisfaction. Misjudging either or overemphasizing the former at the expense of the latter is what can be called green marketing myopia – a corporate preoccupation with a products “greenness” rather than consumer needs, Marketing Profs reports.
When consumers are convinced of “non-green” benefits, they are more inclined to adopt green products (whether promoted as such or not). According to the article, green products succeed when marketers kept their eyes on “The Three Cs”: consumer value positioning, calibration of consumer knowledge, and credibility of product claims
Here are some tips from the article:
- Educate consumers with marketing messages that connect environmental product attributes with desired consumer value (for example, “pesticide-free produce is healthier,” “energy-efficiency saves money,” or “solar power is convenient”).
- Frame environmental product attributes as “solutions” for consumer needs, for example, “rechargeable batteries offer longer performance.”
- Create engaging and educational Web sites about environmental products’ desired value.
- Make sure that environmental product and consumer claims are specific, meaningful, and qualified.
- Encourage positive word of mouth via consumers’ social and internet communication networks with compelling, interesting, or entertaining information about environmental products.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight