UK Grocer Sells Milk In Bags To Cut Down On Plastic Waste
UK grocer Waitrose is selling Calon Wen organic milk in Eco Pak milk bags.
The bags use 75 percent less plastic packaging than an equivalent polybottle and is being pushed as a way to provide relief for “environmentally-conscious shoppers who are already struggling with bi-weekly rubbish collections.”
Customers buy a pitcher that is filled with milk from Eco Paks.
The idea, according to The Guardian, is imported from Canada, where 40 percent of milk is delivered in bags. Consumers buy an initial UK Calon Wen Eco Pak milk bag, which uses 75 percent less plastic than a one-litre milk polybottle.
“For the system to make a difference this polybag needs to become the dominant model, rather than just a niche buy,” said Rob Holdway from eco-design consultancy, Giraffe Innovation.
Energy Manager News
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier
- New Refrigerant Rules Will Have Long Term Impact
- Building Data Platform from Leviton
- Athens, OH, Nears $4.28M Retrofit Project