UK Grocer Sells Milk In Bags To Cut Down On Plastic Waste
UK grocer Waitrose is selling Calon Wen organic milk in Eco Pak milk bags.
The bags use 75 percent less plastic packaging than an equivalent polybottle and is being pushed as a way to provide relief for “environmentally-conscious shoppers who are already struggling with bi-weekly rubbish collections.”
Customers buy a pitcher that is filled with milk from Eco Paks.
The idea, according to The Guardian, is imported from Canada, where 40 percent of milk is delivered in bags. Consumers buy an initial UK Calon Wen Eco Pak milk bag, which uses 75 percent less plastic than a one-litre milk polybottle.
“For the system to make a difference this polybag needs to become the dominant model, rather than just a niche buy,” said Rob Holdway from eco-design consultancy, Giraffe Innovation.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending August 28
- Columbus Energy Challenge Falling Short
- Building on Alaskan Campus Gets LEED Certification
- BT Group Launches Division to Help Property Owners
- Price of Renewables Approaching Fossil Fuels, Nuclear
- The Use of Renewables in Mining Operations
- ASHRAE Proposes “Backbone” for Building Rating Programs
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid