EPEAT Sales Have Led To Big Energy Savings
According to the Environmental Benefits Calculator, the first six months of sales for EPEAT registered green computers when compared with traditional computers produces the following environmental benefits:
• Saves 13.7 billion kWh of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million U.S. homes for a year;
• Saves 24.4 million metric tons of materials, equivalent to the weight of 189 million refrigerators;
• Prevents 56.5 million metric tons of air pollution, including 1.07 million metric tons of global warming gases (the equivalent of removing 852,000 cars from the road for a year);
• Prevents 118,000 metric tons of water pollution;
• Reduces toxic material use by 1,070 metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 534,000 bricks, including enough mercury to fill 157,000 household fever thermometers; and
• Avoids the disposal of 41,100 metric tons of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 20.5 million bricks.
“And those numbers are based on products sold during the last half of 2006,” said Jeff Omelchuck, Director of the Green Electronics Council, which manages the EPEAT green computer program.
Energy Manager News
- Price of Carbon Credits Rises In Europe, Which is a Good Thing
- Iowa Utilities Get Pushback on Plans for Higher Rooftop Solar Rates
- Driving Energy Efficiency in Leased Commercial Space is Complicated – and Worthwhile
- Will Co-Firing Natural Gas and Coal Meet Clean Power Plan Standards?
- Pitkin County (CO) Looks for Solar Opportunities
- Solar Panels Working as Promised for Iowa Company
- China and India: Doing the Unimaginable to Address Climate Change
- Maine Solar Bill That Advocates Claim Could Save $100M Is Vetoed by Governor LePage