EPEAT Sales Have Led To Big Energy Savings
According to the Environmental Benefits Calculator, the first six months of sales for EPEAT registered green computers when compared with traditional computers produces the following environmental benefits:
• Saves 13.7 billion kWh of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million U.S. homes for a year;
• Saves 24.4 million metric tons of materials, equivalent to the weight of 189 million refrigerators;
• Prevents 56.5 million metric tons of air pollution, including 1.07 million metric tons of global warming gases (the equivalent of removing 852,000 cars from the road for a year);
• Prevents 118,000 metric tons of water pollution;
• Reduces toxic material use by 1,070 metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 534,000 bricks, including enough mercury to fill 157,000 household fever thermometers; and
• Avoids the disposal of 41,100 metric tons of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 20.5 million bricks.
“And those numbers are based on products sold during the last half of 2006,” said Jeff Omelchuck, Director of the Green Electronics Council, which manages the EPEAT green computer program.
Energy Manager News
- Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino Doesn’t Consider Cogeneration a Gamble
- Clean Power Plan: Obama’s Team Confident About Pitch to Supreme Court
- BuildingIQ Introduces Managed Services
- Solar Power Breakthrough Near?
- Battery Storage Giving Businesses a Break
- Could Ratepayers Foot the Bill for New Hampshire’s Pipelines?
- CenterPoint to Acquire Continuum’s Retail Energy Services Division
- LED Projects Must Be Carefully Planned