Hotels Need To Market Green Programs Better
Although nearly three-fourths of hotel guests in North America willingly participate in environmentally friendly programs offered during their hotel stays, many guests remain unaware of whether these programs are offered at the hotel property, according to J.D. Power and Associates 2007 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Study.
When guests were asked if the hotel had conservation programs in place, 63 percent of guests answered yes, while eight percent said no, and 29 percent indicated that they didn’t know. When they are aware of a hotel’s environmentally friendly programs, 73 percent of hotel guests indicate they participate. In turn, raising awareness of environmentally friendly programs among customers may help properties further increase participation.
Of the 27 percent of hotel guests who are aware of hotel environmentally friendly programs and choose not to participate, a large number (86 percent) indicate that they would take part if offered a reward for doing so. However, this number declines to 83 percent among guests in the Pre-Boomer generation (those born prior to 1946), and drops even furtherA?AA¢AA¢aAA¬AA¢a?A¬?to 33 percentA?AA¢AA¢aAA¬AA¢a?A¬?among Pre-Boomers staying in luxury hotels.
Willingness to participate is much higher among luxury hotel guests in other generational groupsA?AA¢AA¢aAA¬AA¢a?A¬?87 percent of Baby Boomers, 95 percent of Generation X and 79 percent of Generation Y.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments