REI Labels ‘Eco-Sensitive’ Products
Select REI brand products will begin carrying an eco-sensitive label, designating items manufactured with a high percentage of recycled, rapidly renewable and/or organic fibers.
Fibers that are part of REI’s eco-sensitive products include organic cotton, bamboo, hemp, organic wool, post-industrial recycled polyester, recycled polyethylene terephthalate plastic and polylactic acid, a polymer derived from starch-rich products such as corn.
The products will be identified by an icon on the product’s hangtag or via product pages in the company’s catalogs and website. By mid-September, more than 40 REI brand styles will be labeled as eco-sensitive, with additional offerings scheduled for the coming seasons.
Additionally, REI says it’s collaborating with more than 40 outdoor brands, supply chain partners and other stakeholders in an industry-wide initiative, Outdoor Industry Association’s Eco-Working Group, to establish clear and consistent information about “eco-friendly” and “green” products.
REI is the latest in a long line of retailers and manufacturers that have created their own seals of approval for earth-friendly goods.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Manager Today Product & Project of the Year Award Winners Announced
- Mobility, The IoT Gradually Transform HVAC
- Bill Gates-Led Group, India Establishing Energy Funds
- CMU Energy Efficiency Efforts Save $10M in 7 Years
- Microgrids, Now Mainstream, Continue to Advance
- Developing Economies Increasing their Share of Renewable Capacity
- LG Chem In Big German Battery Project
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending Nov. 20