Democrats Want $6.7 Billion To Fight Global Warming
Congress wants to spend as much as $6.7 billion next fiscal year to combat global warming, an increase of nearly one-third from the current year, The LA Times reports. President Bush’s proposed budget, on the other hand, provides for a three percent increase for climate-change activities.
Here are some of the environmental and energy spending contained in fiscal 2008 House appropriations bills as reported by the Times article:
Interior and environment: Boosts spending for climate-change research by more than half, to $264 million. Includes $50 million to create a climate change commission to study and recommend initiatives and $2 million for the Environmental Protection Agency to develop regulations to reduce greenhouse gases.
Energy and water: Provides $1.9 billion for the Energy Department’s energy efficiency and renewable energy programs. Includes $200 million for solar energy and $235 million for vehicle technologies. Also provides $150 million for climate change research.
Commerce, justice and science: Allocates nearly $1.9 billion to address climate change. Includes $10 million for a “global-warming reduction incentive program” and $10 million for climate-change education.
Transportation, housing and urban development: Directs Housing and Urban Development to incorporate “robust green building” standards in housing programs.
State and foreign operations: Encourages the U.S. Export-Import Bank to increase investment in renewable energy projects.
Legislative branch: Contains $3.9 million for the Green the Capitol initiative.
Energy Manager News
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier
- New Refrigerant Rules Will Have Long Term Impact
- Building Data Platform from Leviton
- Athens, OH, Nears $4.28M Retrofit Project
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: September 23, 2016
- Feds Asked to Reverse Montana PSC Decision on Solar Charges
- Energy Retailer Crius Acquires Assets of Verengo