Alcoa Installs 588 kW Solar Power System
Alcoa partnered on the project with DEERS, a global solar power project developer and Constellation Energy Projects & Services, which constructed and will own and operate the solar system. Alcoa will purchase the electricity generated.
The power generated by more than 4,300 Uni-Solar thin film solar panels will provide approximately 80 percent of the 200,000-square-foot facility’s electricity needs. In addition to the solar panels, more than 200 solar light tubes were installed to supplement the artificial lighting in the facility with day lighting. Alcoa says it is considering similar solar power projects at other facilities.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend