Volvo Opens Carbon Neutral Vehicle Production Plant
Volvo Trucks has opened its carbon neutral (what the company has labeled ‘CO2 Free’) plant in Ghent, Belgium. The factory produces 35,000 trucks annually. “Our ambition is to make all our plants CO2-free plants and Ghent is the first,” says Volvo CEO Leif Johansson. “It is not an easy undertaking, but we are prepared to try different alternatives to achieve our goal for CO2-free production in our plants.”
The Ghent plant invests in wind power and biofuel to provide electricity and heat, IndustryWeek reports. Three wind power plants are being constructed, which will cover half of the plant’s electricity requirements. The remaining electricity consists of certified green energy.
A new pellet-fired biomass plant supplies 70 percent of the heating requirements and energy for the combustion process is provided by solar cells on the roof. The remaining 30 percent is provided by an oil-fired boiler that was converted to burn bio oil.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend