Cox Touts Green Efforts On New Website
Media company Cox Enterprises has launched CoxConserves.com, a website detailing the company’s environmental initiatives and offering environmental tips. Cox Conserves is a national corporate program that includes the company’s six major subsidiaries.
The program encourages Cox’s 80,000 employees and families to engage in eco-friendly practices.The website highlights Cox’s environmental initiatives throughout the company and offers case studies on high-profile projects. Some of the information listed on the site includes:
- 98 percent of Cox’s fleet of 15,000-plus vehicles throughout the company are Low Emission Vehicles or better. Cox has 300 E85 flex-fuel and 2,500 vehicles capable of running on BioDiesel in its fleet.
- Cox’s largest automotive subsidiary, Manheim, recently opened an auto reconditioning center. During daily vehicle cleanings, the facility removes enough contaminants from the process water to allow the company to re-use almost 60 percent of the water. Manheim also exclusively uses waterborne basecoat painting at numerous locations to reduce air pollutants by 40 percent.
- SP Newsprint Co., a general partnership equally owned by Cox Enterprises, McClatchy and Media General, recently completed $6.7 million in energy efficiency upgrades to its Clackamas paper recycling plant and Newberg newsprint plant in Oregon. This will reduce the company’s energy consumption by 57 million kilowatt hours annually, equivalent to the total amount of electricity used by nearly 5,800 homes each year.
- Cox Radio is replacing disposable cups with reusable mugs in various locations. This keeps between 10,000 and 15,000 cups out of landfills in Long Island alone.
- Cox Communications has created a teleworking program in Arizona that reduces the number of cars on the road. Currently, 225 employees participate in the program.
- Cox Newspapers uses recycled newsprint for its 45 publications.
- Cox Television’s WPXI reclaimed and revitalized a site that was a dump for construction debris decades earlier and constructed a green-friendly building for its main studio.
- Cox Auto Trader connects consumers with cars that receive 30 miles per gallon or more through Auto Trader Green, the first classifieds publication focusing exclusively on fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Cox offers a commuter program at its headquarters that includes discounted public transportation passes, shuttle services and hybrid vehicles that are available for checkout to eligible employees during the workday.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Keys to Energy Efficient Air Filtration
- Tracking the Exciting World of Solar Energy Research
- Colorado Mixing Solar, Weatherization
- Lighting Sector: 4% CAGR Through 2020
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: August 19, 2016
- New Hampshire Town Resists Door-to-Door Sales
- Minnesota Commerce Department Challenges Otter Tail Power Rate Hike
- An Interesting Summer for PACE