Cox Touts Green Efforts On New Website
Media company Cox Enterprises has launched CoxConserves.com, a website detailing the company’s environmental initiatives and offering environmental tips. Cox Conserves is a national corporate program that includes the company’s six major subsidiaries.
The program encourages Cox’s 80,000 employees and families to engage in eco-friendly practices.The website highlights Cox’s environmental initiatives throughout the company and offers case studies on high-profile projects. Some of the information listed on the site includes:
- 98 percent of Cox’s fleet of 15,000-plus vehicles throughout the company are Low Emission Vehicles or better. Cox has 300 E85 flex-fuel and 2,500 vehicles capable of running on BioDiesel in its fleet.
- Cox’s largest automotive subsidiary, Manheim, recently opened an auto reconditioning center. During daily vehicle cleanings, the facility removes enough contaminants from the process water to allow the company to re-use almost 60 percent of the water. Manheim also exclusively uses waterborne basecoat painting at numerous locations to reduce air pollutants by 40 percent.
- SP Newsprint Co., a general partnership equally owned by Cox Enterprises, McClatchy and Media General, recently completed $6.7 million in energy efficiency upgrades to its Clackamas paper recycling plant and Newberg newsprint plant in Oregon. This will reduce the company’s energy consumption by 57 million kilowatt hours annually, equivalent to the total amount of electricity used by nearly 5,800 homes each year.
- Cox Radio is replacing disposable cups with reusable mugs in various locations. This keeps between 10,000 and 15,000 cups out of landfills in Long Island alone.
- Cox Communications has created a teleworking program in Arizona that reduces the number of cars on the road. Currently, 225 employees participate in the program.
- Cox Newspapers uses recycled newsprint for its 45 publications.
- Cox Television’s WPXI reclaimed and revitalized a site that was a dump for construction debris decades earlier and constructed a green-friendly building for its main studio.
- Cox Auto Trader connects consumers with cars that receive 30 miles per gallon or more through Auto Trader Green, the first classifieds publication focusing exclusively on fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Cox offers a commuter program at its headquarters that includes discounted public transportation passes, shuttle services and hybrid vehicles that are available for checkout to eligible employees during the workday.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Making a Powerful Impact with Solar Proposals in Canada and Beyond
- Renovate America Lands $90M Investment
- Automated Building Envelope Sealing Technology Previewed
- Telecom Towers in India Switching to Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Energy Star Certified Dehumidifier Introduced
- ESG Upgrades Schools in Alabama, Illinois
- Shedding a Light on Marijuana Growth
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts