Companies Advise Employees On Cutting Emissions After Hours
Reducing your carbon footprint with the help of the workplace is set to become one of the more popular employee benefits offered by companies, according to the Guardian. Since the summer, a number of major employers including Sky Broadcasting, Centrica and Swiss Re have begun to introduce such programs to staff and banking giant Halifax/Bank of Scotland is about to launch a program.
Some companies are already working hard to influence employee behavior, according to a World Changing article by Mindy Lubber, president of Ceres. Here are three from the article:
- Sky Broadcasting, owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp., has launched www.jointhebiggerpicture.com to encourage employees to adopt more sustainable lifestyles. The internal site offers advice and incentives to change and track behavior on a voluntary basis. Participating employees get a “carbon credit card” in which they log carbon reduction activities and earn credits that can lead to prizes.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland has “Your World,” an employee web portal that includes a carbon calculator and advice and tips on reducing personal carbon footprints. The calculator has an impressive 90 percent completion rate.
- Wal-Mart has launched its “personal sustainability project,” a voluntary program for its 1.3 million U.S. employees. Through workshops, retreats and off-site tours employees learn the benefits of healthy lifestyle choices.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses