UK Environmental Expert: Recycling Is Stupid
Recycling IT equipment is “stupid” and should not be the top concern within a company’s eco-agenda, according to Simon Drury, business partnerships director of the UK government’s Envirowise Project, which hands out free advice to businesses on green issues, BusinessWeek writes.
Instead, companies should purchase equipment that can be reused, with accessible parts that can be replaced easily, rather than recycled. “Recycling is stupid,” Drury said, speaking at a Green Computing in Practice roundtable. “It should be the second to last thing which we do before throwing away something.” Instead, Drury says companies should reuse or donate obsolete IT equipment to developing countries.
“If you have a whole pile of technology which is taking up a great deal of resource and is going to be difficult to service, you are just offsetting your problem to other places in the world,” said Labour MP Alan Whitehead.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- New Wind Farm to Sell Power to Hawaii County Department of Water Supply
- Hybrid Gensets Can Help Solve a Big Problem for the Mining Industry
- Commercial Property Energy Use Down in San Francisco
- Royalpark Homes to Install Solar PV + Energy Storage System
- Wabasha-Kellogg School to Invest $4M in HVAC Upgrade
- Will Boulder County Expand Net-Zero Building Requirements?
- Energy Storage Prospects Bright in Virginia, Ontario
- Sustenir to Use Illumitex LEDs in Singapore Vertical Farming