Ogden Launches Green Shopping Site
Ogden Publications, home of magazines such as Utne Reader, Mother Earth News and Natural Home, has launched EarthMoment.com, a shopping portal that dedicates half of its commission-based revenues to carbon offsets.
Ogden says that consumers have access to more than 15 million products and services from over a thousand merchants including Apple, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Circuit City, GNC, Kohls, Macy’s, Office Depot, Sharper Image, and Wal-Mart.
The company says that while other companies that put money toward “environmental funds” do so by tacking on fees to consumer purchases, EarthMoment.com contributes 50 percent of its revenue from vendors to carbon offsets – at no additional charge to the consumer.
Earth Moment allows consumers to compare prices from different vendors, then takes the shopper directly to the retailer of their choosing. Any purchase made on the retailer’s site within 24 hours will contribute to Carbonfund.org.
Shoppers can create a profile to assess their total annual emissions and the dollar amount needed to offset their personal contributions to global warming.
Energy Manager News
- IRS to Buildings Owners: “We’re From the Government and We’re Here to Help”
- CT Hospital, Soltage, Tenaska Unveil Solar Plant
- FAA Pays to Upgrade Airport Hangar Heating
- Maryland Electric Coops Mount FERC Challenge to Community Solar Garden Retail Prices
- SEIA Releases Updated Version of ‘Guide to Federal Tax Incentives’
- Energy Efficiency and Waste Disposal Grow Closer
- Worcester School Gets Grant to Complete LED Retrofit
- Cree Recalls Lamps