Ogden Launches Green Shopping Site
Ogden Publications, home of magazines such as Utne Reader, Mother Earth News and Natural Home, has launched EarthMoment.com, a shopping portal that dedicates half of its commission-based revenues to carbon offsets.
Ogden says that consumers have access to more than 15 million products and services from over a thousand merchants including Apple, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Circuit City, GNC, Kohls, Macy’s, Office Depot, Sharper Image, and Wal-Mart.
The company says that while other companies that put money toward “environmental funds” do so by tacking on fees to consumer purchases, EarthMoment.com contributes 50 percent of its revenue from vendors to carbon offsets – at no additional charge to the consumer.
Earth Moment allows consumers to compare prices from different vendors, then takes the shopper directly to the retailer of their choosing. Any purchase made on the retailer’s site within 24 hours will contribute to Carbonfund.org.
Shoppers can create a profile to assess their total annual emissions and the dollar amount needed to offset their personal contributions to global warming.
Energy Manager News
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform
- Fulham Retrofit Kits EPA Approved
- Brookings Study: Net Metering Offers Cost Benefits to All Utility Customers
- Window Films: Low Hanging Fruit for Efficiency Gains