Environmentally Friendly Product Purchases On Rise
Customers are increasing purchases of environmentally friendly products with promising gains in adoption rates of extended-life paper products, compact fluorescent light bulbs and organic milk, according to Wal-Mart’s first update of its Live Better Index data. Vermont takes the top adopter spot for the basket of Index products.
The Live Better Index was introduced this past April to serve as an ongoing barometer of consumer attitudes and shopping behaviors. One focus of the ongoing study is products and attitudes surrounding environmental issues.
The data show:
• California jumped to the top of the list for CFLs with an adoption rate of nearly 25 percent. Following California, Connecticut and New Hampshire lead the way with CFL adoption rates. The adoption rate of CFLs increased nearly three percent over the past six months.
• Rhode Island continues to lead the rest of the country in adoption of organic milk. Former frontrunners New Jersey and Connecticut have dropped in adoption rates to the number 19 and 14 spots, respectively, with Virginia and Colorado now tailing Rhode Island.
• Arkansas now leads the way in adoption rates of compact laundry detergent, followed by Oklahoma and former leader New Hampshire at the number two and three spots.
• While New Jersey formerly held the number 47 spot for the adoption rate of extended-life paper products, over the past six months it has jumped to the number one spot. Adoption rates of extended-life paper products have increased across the country.
• California continues to lead the nation with the top adoption rate of organic baby food.
This year’s Live Better Index survey in April revealed that while 43 percent of Americans think they will be “extremely green” in the next five years, only 11 percent of Americans classify themselves as “extremely green” today.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners