Wegmans Adopts New Standards For Buying Farmed Shrimp
Wegmans Food Markets and Environmental Defense have announced a purchasing policy for farmed shrimp. Wegmans will be rolling out shrimp purchased under this policy in all of its 71 stores. The policy, according to Wegman’s, sets a new bar for the seafood industry and other U.S. retailers.
The new purchasing standards require farmed shrimp producers to eliminate the use of antibiotics and other chemicals, avoid damaging sensitive habitats, treat their waste water and reduce the use of wild fish to feed shrimp. Suppliers will be able to demonstrate their compliance with these standards by meeting aggressive performance targets and implementing an auditing and reporting system to monitor progress.
“Companies like Wegmans have the market clout to transform their supplier’s environmental practices. With these new purchasing standards, we’ve raised the bar for farmed shrimp production while continuing to provide a healthy seafood option for Wegmans’ customers,” said Gwen Ruta, Environmental Defense’s Director of Corporate Partnerships. “Now it’s time for other large seafood buyers to flex their purchasing muscle and make the same improvements in their supply chain.”
Wegmans and Environmental Defense developed this purchasing policy in cooperation with Wegmans’ farmed shrimp supplier. The policy requires that suppliers immediately meet at least nine of the purchasing standards, including strict standards for levels of PCBs and other contaminants, and comply with local laws. Suppliers must meet all 12 standards within one year.
Energy Manager News
- IRS to Buildings Owners: “We’re From the Government and We’re Here to Help”
- CT Hospital, Soltage, Tenaska Unveil Solar Plant
- FAA Pays to Upgrade Airport Hangar Heating
- Maryland Electric Coops Mount FERC Challenge to Community Solar Garden Retail Prices
- SEIA Releases Updated Version of ‘Guide to Federal Tax Incentives’
- Energy Efficiency and Waste Disposal Grow Closer
- Worcester School Gets Grant to Complete LED Retrofit
- Cree Recalls Lamps