UK Climate Change Bill Will Cut Emissions 60%
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has committed the UK to reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 60 percent before 2050, the BBC reports.
The Climate Change Bill will make the UK the first country to put carbon emissions reduction targets into law.
An independent committee on climate change will be set up to advise on “five-year carbon budgets.”
The bill will enforce reductions of greenhouse gas emissions of between 26 percent and 32 percent by 2020.
Green campaigners have urged the government to go further by setting yearly targets, raising reductions to 80 percent by the middle of the century, and including international aviation and shipping.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Go It Alone When Retrofitting
- LinkedIn Campus Gets Mobile EV Charging
- Many Vendors Vie for Lighting Controls Business
- Johnson Controls Opens Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) Training Center
- Acquiring Renewable Energy Should Be Easier, Facebook Says
- Energy Upgrades at School District Financed by NY Power Authority
- Fusing System Helps Solar Customers with Overcurrent Protection
- ABM Joins Balboa Park Sustainability Council