Barneys Sells Green For The Holidays
Barneys New York, the high-end retailer, is pushing a “green” holiday this year, according to Good Experience. Slogans being used include “Have a Green Holiday,” “Join the green revolution, we have!” and “Give good green.”
The company is selling organic cotton T-shirts, scarves handknit from “free range alpaca yarn,” and various jewelry that promise “a portion of the proceeds” for deserving nonprofits.
Barneys’ copy reads: “Gorgeous green gifts, fabulously fair-trade fashion, sensationally sustainable swag, orgasmic organic denim and cashmere, environmentally conscious tchotchkes of all descriptions + philanthropic gestures to warm the cockles of your heart.”
The companies catalog “uses “soybean-based inks” and “30% post-consumer waste material”; on the other hand, it arrived unsolicited, which means many of these catalogs, green as they are, will go straight to the landfill, unread,” Good Experience writes.
The company is selling green-themed gift cards too.
There hasn’t been any news on Barneys banning plastic bags, but the retailer is selling the $1,065 Goyard St. Louis Shopper Tote, a “100% recyclable” canvas bag “made from natural materials.”
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- SolarCity: We Have the World’s Most Efficient Rooftop Solar Panel
- Bridgestone Arena in Nashville Switches to LEDs
- Helping Building Automation Grow
- Municipalities Could Combine Small Cell and LED Upgrades
- Holistic Approach to Energy Savings in Dublin, Ohio Schools
- NYC One Step Closer to Net-Zero Energy Goal at Wastewater Treatment Plants
- ‘Better Buildings, Better Plants’ Saves $2.4B Over Five Years