Sears, Kmart To Phase Out PVC
Sears and Kmart plan to begin phasing out products and packaging containing PVC, commonly known as vinyl. Wal-Mart and Target are other top retailers who have made similar pledges – Target’s policy was just announced last month.
The Center for Health, Environment and Justice has been leading a campaign to rid retailers of PVC.
Sears Holdings, parent of Kmart and Sears, Roebuck and Co., says it is working to reduce and phase out PVC in its packaging and merchandise, including encouraging vendors to label their PVC-free merchandise. Additionally, Sears says it is working to identify safer, more sustainable and cost-effective alternatives to PVC and incorporate them into the design and manufacturing process for private label merchandise and packaging. For a complete list of Sears’ PVC policy and plans: www.searsholdings.com.
According to the policy, Sears Holdings will:
– Identify safer, more sustainable and cost-effective alternatives to PVC and incorporate them into the design and manufacturing process for private label merchandise and packaging;
– Show preference for PVC-free materials that do not contain highly hazardous chemicals and set a long term goal of sourcing bio-based polymers that are sustainably sourced, have higher recycled content, and can be reused, recycled, or composted;
– Show preference to incorporate the Society of the Plastics Industry labeling system on private label merchandise packaging to make it easier for consumers to incorporate packaging options into their purchase decision;
– Show preference to mark private label merchandise as PVC-free when true;
– Encourage vendors to reduce or eliminate their use of PVC in merchandise and packaging;
– Encourage vendors to utilize the Society of the Plastics Industry labeling system on packaging;
– Encourage vendors to label their merchandise as PVC-free when true.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- OATI Taps EnSync for Planned Microgrid
- Lime Energy to Provide Clean Energy Tech to 1,000 Small Businesses
- Celtic Bank Backs Solar to the Tune of $43 Million
- GE, Coachella Energy Building a Big Lithium-Ion Battery
- The Importance of Energy Storage System Software
- Duke Increasines Chiller Efficiency
- Pepco-Exelon Merger Rejected
- Energy Savings a Key to Calgary Building Redevelopment