40 Million ‘Green Boomers’ In U.S.
This large, green boomer segment is often more demanding of quality in the products and services they buy, more attuned to advertising and exhibit higher brand loyalty than other boomers.
The tendency to buy environmentally safe brands correlates directly with age, with mature consumers even more likely to be “green.” According to Heather Stern, Director of Marketing for Focalyst, “As consumers get older, they become more aware of their legacy and leaving a positive mark on the world, and this is particularly true of boomers. We anticipate that as time goes on, more and more boomer shoppers will simply expect brands to be eco-friendly and rather than this being a point of brand differentiation, it will be a price of entry.”
Green boomers are more attuned to advertising, both positively and negatively. They pay attention to ads for products they plan to buy, but are more critical and therefore are more likely to believe there is not much truth in advertising. They also wish that advertising included more real product information to help make decisions.
The decisiveness of green boomers is apparent in their tendency to be more brand loyal than other boomers across all product categories, particularly among packaged-goods. They not only exhibit higher brand loyalty, but they also stick with a brand they like (88% vs. 78%).
Other key findings from the Focalyst report include:
– Green boomers are watching less television, but are spending more time with print media, such as reading newspapers, magazines and books (95 minutes vs. 78 minutes per day).
-While “environmentally safe” and “organic” usually go hand-in-hand, this is not the perception of many boomers as less than a third of the boomer population is willing to pay more for organic goods.
-Boomers with annual incomes of less than $50,000 are more “green” than boomers with incomes of over $150,000 (57% vs. 50%).
Energy Manager News
- Unlocking the Power of Building Data
- Avista Lauds ‘Fair’ Settlement in Idaho Rate Case
- BGE’s SEED Program Offers Energy Discounts to 19 Commercial Customers
- Retailer Offers 100% Solar Plan in Texas
- Dissecting the Data Revolution
- Energy Star Recognizes 16 GM Facilities
- CCI Group Awarded Contract for Anniston Army Depot
- Under Hawaiian Electric’s New TOU Pilot Plan, Time Is Money