Green Marketing Under The Microscope
As we saw over the holidays, green – the environment kind – is figuring into consumersâ spending decisions. More than ever, companies are positioning products as environmentally-friendly. And why not, research says adding green to a marketing message can increase sales (12 percent of U.S. adults are willing to pay extra for consumer electronics that use less energy or come from a company that is environmentally friendly, according to recent research).
Still, more than a few companies have encountered serious pitfalls in marketing themselves as greener or green. In fact, a recent study found that of 1,018 common consumer products ranging from toothpaste to caulking to shampoo to printers, randomly surveyed, 99 percent were guilty of greenwashing.
To make matters worse, seven in ten Americans either âstronglyâ or âsomewhatâ agree that when companies call a product âgreenâ (meaning better for the environment), it is usually just a âmarketing tactic,â according to a recent survey.
The first rule is to know your customer and understand how much they know.Â Whirlpool’s marketing of CFC-free Â refrigerators faced hurdles when it became evident that customers didn’t know what CFCs were.
Companies also need to be transparent.Â Consumers must believe in the legitimacy of the product and the claims a company is making.
Consumers need to feel empowered and feel that by buying a certain product, they can make a difference.
The last two rules are to reassure the consumer that green doesn’t mean a compromise in quality nor an unacceptable spike in price.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: Itâs About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M âSwitching Feeâ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform