The Future of Sustainable Fashion
In wondering about the future of sustainable fashion, author Kate Fletcher comments that over 20 major brands and 1200 smaller ones sell organic fiber products and that spending on eco-fashion has doubled in the last two years. But she notes that the focus of eco-fashion has been almost solely on choice and provenance of materials, and that is too limited.
Fletcher argues that sustainable fashion must concentrate on materials-based or technical innovations and social change, everything from championing lower impact fiber types to fairer employment methods to more efficient processing techniques. Some of this is already happening; Marks & Spencer, Britain’s biggest clothing retailer, has mainstreamed Fairtrade label cotton. One recent article noted how sustainable fashion was helping local farmers.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Go It Alone When Retrofitting
- LinkedIn Campus Gets Mobile EV Charging
- Many Vendors Vie for Lighting Controls Business
- Johnson Controls Opens Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) Training Center
- Acquiring Renewable Energy Should Be Easier, Facebook Says
- Energy Upgrades at School District Financed by NY Power Authority
- Fusing System Helps Solar Customers with Overcurrent Protection
- ABM Joins Balboa Park Sustainability Council