The Future of Sustainable Fashion
In wondering about the future of sustainable fashion, author Kate Fletcher comments that over 20 major brands and 1200 smaller ones sell organic fiber products and that spending on eco-fashion has doubled in the last two years. But she notes that the focus of eco-fashion has been almost solely on choice and provenance of materials, and that is too limited.
Fletcher argues that sustainable fashion must concentrate on materials-based or technical innovations and social change, everything from championing lower impact fiber types to fairer employment methods to more efficient processing techniques. Some of this is already happening; Marks & Spencer, Britain’s biggest clothing retailer, has mainstreamed Fairtrade label cotton. One recent article noted how sustainable fashion was helping local farmers.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- LAX Commissions New $438M Central Utilities Plant
- International Paper Receives Trucked Compressed Natural Gas
- Housing Authority Signs ESPC with Ameresco
- Solar Installed at USDA Buildings
- Eaton Supports 6.3 MW Hospital Solar Installation in New Jersey
- UK Grocery Store Chain Gives Refrigerators an Energy Savings Turbo Boost
- ATG Designs 120-watt LED Fixture for Gas Station Canopies
- Schneider Electric Launches PowerLogic PM8000 Line of Meters