Staples Stops Sourcing Paper From APP
Staples has joined retailers like Office Depot in no longer doing business with Asia Pulp & Paper due to environmental concerns, Reuters reports.
Environmental groups say APP is involved in illegal logging in Indonesia and China and that the company’s forest-clearing endangers tigers and other animals.
Until recently, Staples sourced about nine percent of its total paper supply from APP. The Wall Street Journal reports Mark Buckley, vice president for environmental issues at Staples, as saying that remaining a customer of APP was “at great peril to our brand.”
Relationships with APP have been problematic for other retailers. Woolworths found itself in hot water last year after claiming that some of its home brand products made from APP-supplied pulp were environmentally sustainable.
Energy Manager News
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool
- Veolia Checks Into the UK’s Tallest Hotel
- Massachusetts Aims for Critical Care Resiliency
- State of Michigan and MISO Propose Retail Capacity Charge
- Breaking the Ice with Thermal Energy Storage
- Ameresco to Upgrade Federal Prison in Butner, NC
- Alpen Introduces Window Package Rated at R10 Insulation