Staples Stops Sourcing Paper From APP
Staples has joined retailers like Office Depot in no longer doing business with Asia Pulp & Paper due to environmental concerns, Reuters reports.
Environmental groups say APP is involved in illegal logging in Indonesia and China and that the company’s forest-clearing endangers tigers and other animals.
Until recently, Staples sourced about nine percent of its total paper supply from APP. The Wall Street Journal reports Mark Buckley, vice president for environmental issues at Staples, as saying that remaining a customer of APP was “at great peril to our brand.”
Relationships with APP have been problematic for other retailers. Woolworths found itself in hot water last year after claiming that some of its home brand products made from APP-supplied pulp were environmentally sustainable.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls