Stop & Shop Joins SmartWay
Stop & Shop Supermarket Company has joined the EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership and has committed to voluntary targets for increasing the energy and fuel efficiency of its fleet.With 165 trucks that travel over 17 million miles per year, Stop & Shop says it has already instituted a number of efficiencies, resulting in a fuel economy average 22 percent greater than most truck fleets and saving over eight thousand tons of CO2, 46 tons of NOx, and one ton of particulate matter per year, according to EPA calculations.
Technologies being used include automatic engine shutdown to reduce idling, cab roof fairings and reduced cab/trailer gap to reduce wind resistance, advanced lubricants to reduce drive train friction losses, and longer trailers to carry more product in one trip.
The company is piloting additional strategies including using single-wide tires to reduce rolling resistance and automatic tire inflation systems.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment