Stop & Shop Joins SmartWay
Stop & Shop Supermarket Company has joined the EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership and has committed to voluntary targets for increasing the energy and fuel efficiency of its fleet.With 165 trucks that travel over 17 million miles per year, Stop & Shop says it has already instituted a number of efficiencies, resulting in a fuel economy average 22 percent greater than most truck fleets and saving over eight thousand tons of CO2, 46 tons of NOx, and one ton of particulate matter per year, according to EPA calculations.
Technologies being used include automatic engine shutdown to reduce idling, cab roof fairings and reduced cab/trailer gap to reduce wind resistance, advanced lubricants to reduce drive train friction losses, and longer trailers to carry more product in one trip.
The company is piloting additional strategies including using single-wide tires to reduce rolling resistance and automatic tire inflation systems.
Energy Manager News
- Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino Doesn’t Consider Cogeneration a Gamble
- Clean Power Plan: Obama’s Team Confident About Pitch to Supreme Court
- BuildingIQ Introduces Managed Services
- Solar Power Breakthrough Near?
- Battery Storage Giving Businesses a Break
- Could Ratepayers Foot the Bill for New Hampshire’s Pipelines?
- CenterPoint to Acquire Continuum’s Retail Energy Services Division
- LED Projects Must Be Carefully Planned