UK Bans Cotton USA Ad Over Sustainability Claim
The ad read, “Soft, sensual and sustainable, it’s Cotton USA!” The text on the landing page the ad directs people to now reads, “Pure, sensual and renewable, it’s Cotton USA!” But its not known if the landing page text always used the word “renewable” instead of “sustainable.”
Advertising regulators received three complaints challenging the ad, arguing that cotton is a “pesticide- and insecticide-intensive crop” that could “seriously deplete” groundwater in the U.S.
However, CCI argued that US cotton production met “reasonable and generally accepted” definitions of sustainability. “In light of the recent ASA ruling regarding the use of the word ‘sustainable’ in our advertising, we firmly believe that our U.S. cotton production systems are sustainable and environmentally sound,” Allen Terhaar, executive director of Cotton Council International said in a statement.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management