UK Bans Cotton USA Ad Over Sustainability Claim
The ad read, “Soft, sensual and sustainable, it’s Cotton USA!” The text on the landing page the ad directs people to now reads, “Pure, sensual and renewable, it’s Cotton USA!” But its not known if the landing page text always used the word “renewable” instead of “sustainable.”
Advertising regulators received three complaints challenging the ad, arguing that cotton is a “pesticide- and insecticide-intensive crop” that could “seriously deplete” groundwater in the U.S.
However, CCI argued that US cotton production met “reasonable and generally accepted” definitions of sustainability. “In light of the recent ASA ruling regarding the use of the word ‘sustainable’ in our advertising, we firmly believe that our U.S. cotton production systems are sustainable and environmentally sound,” Allen Terhaar, executive director of Cotton Council International said in a statement.
Energy Manager News
- Dissecting the Data Revolution
- Energy Star Recognizes 16 GM Facilities
- CCI Group Awarded Contract for Anniston Army Depot
- Under Hawaiian Electric’s New TOU Pilot Plan, Time Is Money
- SCE&G Retail Rate Adjustment Will Be Close to Break-Even for Customers
- LEED v4 is Ready to Take Center Stage
- Honeywell Upgrading Energy, Water Systems at The University of Mount Olive
- Three Boston Area Organizations Jointly Buying Solar Energy