UK Bans Cotton USA Ad Over Sustainability Claim
The ad read, “Soft, sensual and sustainable, it’s Cotton USA!” The text on the landing page the ad directs people to now reads, “Pure, sensual and renewable, it’s Cotton USA!” But its not known if the landing page text always used the word “renewable” instead of “sustainable.”
Advertising regulators received three complaints challenging the ad, arguing that cotton is a “pesticide- and insecticide-intensive crop” that could “seriously deplete” groundwater in the U.S.
However, CCI argued that US cotton production met “reasonable and generally accepted” definitions of sustainability. “In light of the recent ASA ruling regarding the use of the word ‘sustainable’ in our advertising, we firmly believe that our U.S. cotton production systems are sustainable and environmentally sound,” Allen Terhaar, executive director of Cotton Council International said in a statement.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Royal Philips: All Cities and Utilities Worldwide Should Switch to LEDs
- Daikin Applied Replaces HVAC System at Bethel University
- The Water Research Group Issues RFP for Energy Savings
- Ingersoll-Rand Wins Two Awards
- Energy-Efficiency Upgrades Will Save National Lab $1.3M Each Year
- Super Efficient Building in Amsterdam: The Edge
- New LEDs From Cree
- Ringdale Intros Monitoring and Data Logger