SunChips Solar Coming-Out Party
Frito-Lay is planning a major ad campaign to tout that one of the factories that makes SunChips is powered by the sun. A field of solar concentrators at Frito-Lay’s Modesto, Calif. manufacturing facility will go online April 21, one day before Earth Day.
It’s not Frito-Lays first solar move. Last October, it completed installation of its planned solar electric power system on the roof of its Arizona Service Center, the company’s largest U.S. distribution center.
For SunChips solar debut, Frito-Lay has already rolled out national print, online and television advertising.
Get this, SunChips will run a solar-powered print ad in newspapers across the country on Earth Day itself. If you hold it up to the sun, some kind of Cracker Jack secret decoder ring science reveals a secret message. In Modesto, a solar-powered billboard will reveal a SunChips message by casting a shadow that changes the look of the outdoor billboard as the sun tracks across the sky.
The new SunChips brand advertising and Website were created by Juniper Park, Toronto, and OMD in New York is
handling media buys.
The New York Times covered some of this last week.
Frito-Lay isn’t just interested in the sun either. It’s planning to make its Casa Grande plant a net zero facility.
Energy Manager News
- Six Critical Tips to Transform Your Organization’s Energy Management
- Supreme Court to Review Demand Response Decision
- Dartmouth Upgrades Field House Lighting with Digital Lumens
- Tesla Needs More Partnerships for Powerwall Success, Says Lux
- College Installs 2.5 MW of Solar
- Gexpro, Geli, Ideal Power, LG Chem Join for Battery Energy Storage
- LEDs Facilitate Retail Shopping Applications
- The Hidden Pitfalls of Natural Gas Cost Savings