SunChips Solar Coming-Out Party
Frito-Lay is planning a major ad campaign to tout that one of the factories that makes SunChips is powered by the sun. A field of solar concentrators at Frito-Lay’s Modesto, Calif. manufacturing facility will go online April 21, one day before Earth Day.
It’s not Frito-Lays first solar move. Last October, it completed installation of its planned solar electric power system on the roof of its Arizona Service Center, the company’s largest U.S. distribution center.
For SunChips solar debut, Frito-Lay has already rolled out national print, online and television advertising.
Get this, SunChips will run a solar-powered print ad in newspapers across the country on Earth Day itself. If you hold it up to the sun, some kind of Cracker Jack secret decoder ring science reveals a secret message. In Modesto, a solar-powered billboard will reveal a SunChips message by casting a shadow that changes the look of the outdoor billboard as the sun tracks across the sky.
The new SunChips brand advertising and Website were created by Juniper Park, Toronto, and OMD in New York is
handling media buys.
The New York Times covered some of this last week.
Frito-Lay isn’t just interested in the sun either. It’s planning to make its Casa Grande plant a net zero facility.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland