Toxic 100 Fingers DuPont As Top Polluter
DuPont heads this year’s Toxic 100, a list of the top corporate air polluters in the U.S. from researchers at the Political Economy Research Institute at the University of Massachusetts. Nissan Motor, Archer Daniels Midland, Eastman Kodak, and General Electric round out the top five.
The rankings take into account not only the quantity of releases, but also the relative toxicity of chemicals, nearby populations, and transport factors such as prevailing winds and height of smokestacks, according to the researchers.
For the first time, the Toxic 100 includes foreign corporations with facilities in the U.S. Three of them – Nisssan, Bayer Group, and Acelor Mittal – made the list’s top ten.
Top 10 (links go to PERI stats):
The full list of the Toxic 100 here.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend