24 Strategies For Green Buildings
The Building Owners and Managers Association International has put together 24 strategies for increasing sustainability and optimizing performance in commercial buildings.
1. Install low-flow aerators, which simply screw onto bathroom faucets and can be purchased for about $2.
2. Insert water displacement devices to limit the amount of water used in the toilet tank.
3. Monitor activities with sensors, such as motion-sensor faucets and cooling tower sensors.
4. Implement “dry” cleaning methods. Using a broom, squeegee or dry vacuum cleaner as “dry” instead of “wet” cleaning can save gallons of water.
5. Reduce water pressure.
6. Reset hot water thermostats to the lowest setting possible.
7. Turn off hot water heaters while the building is unoccupied.
8. Create a landscaping program that makes use of indigenous plants and conserves water.
9. Add composting to your landscape maintenance plan.
10. Use drip irrigation or soaker hoses, which use less water than sprinklers.
11. Schedule an annual review of your property’s irrigation system.
12. Harvest rainwater to water your building’s grounds.
Reduce, Re-use & Recycle
13. Work with vendors who have recycling programs in place.
14. Establish disposal methods to discard electronics and hazardous waste.
15. Use coreless paper products.
16. Ensure that your janitorial service uses “green” cleaning products.
17. Ensure windows and skylights are clean to allow in optimal daylight.
18. Encourage tenants to turn off equipment after hours.
19. Encourage tenants to use Energy Star equipment.
20. Develop a recycling program for everything (not just paper) – lighting, plastics, metal, glass and cardboard.
Communicate & Educate
21. Institute an energy awareness program.
22. Encourage tenants to institute work from home policies to reduce workplace energy consumption.
23. Create an electronic green newsletter to send to tenants periodically.
24. Encourage tenants and building personnel to utilize environmentally-friendly modes of transportation.
For more tips, strategies and energy efficiency resources, visit BOMA International’s The G.R.E.E.N.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management