24 Strategies For Green Buildings
The Building Owners and Managers Association International has put together 24 strategies for increasing sustainability and optimizing performance in commercial buildings.
1. Install low-flow aerators, which simply screw onto bathroom faucets and can be purchased for about $2.
2. Insert water displacement devices to limit the amount of water used in the toilet tank.
3. Monitor activities with sensors, such as motion-sensor faucets and cooling tower sensors.
4. Implement “dry” cleaning methods. Using a broom, squeegee or dry vacuum cleaner as “dry” instead of “wet” cleaning can save gallons of water.
5. Reduce water pressure.
6. Reset hot water thermostats to the lowest setting possible.
7. Turn off hot water heaters while the building is unoccupied.
8. Create a landscaping program that makes use of indigenous plants and conserves water.
9. Add composting to your landscape maintenance plan.
10. Use drip irrigation or soaker hoses, which use less water than sprinklers.
11. Schedule an annual review of your property’s irrigation system.
12. Harvest rainwater to water your building’s grounds.
Reduce, Re-use & Recycle
13. Work with vendors who have recycling programs in place.
14. Establish disposal methods to discard electronics and hazardous waste.
15. Use coreless paper products.
16. Ensure that your janitorial service uses “green” cleaning products.
17. Ensure windows and skylights are clean to allow in optimal daylight.
18. Encourage tenants to turn off equipment after hours.
19. Encourage tenants to use Energy Star equipment.
20. Develop a recycling program for everything (not just paper) – lighting, plastics, metal, glass and cardboard.
Communicate & Educate
21. Institute an energy awareness program.
22. Encourage tenants to institute work from home policies to reduce workplace energy consumption.
23. Create an electronic green newsletter to send to tenants periodically.
24. Encourage tenants and building personnel to utilize environmentally-friendly modes of transportation.
For more tips, strategies and energy efficiency resources, visit BOMA International’s The G.R.E.E.N.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland