Concrete Recycler Grinds Toward Sustainability With Largest Solar Installation in San Jose
The Star Quality Concrete solar installation in downtown San Jose, Calif., will be the largest commercial solar power system in the area, Akeena Solar announced.
The 410 KW system will house 1,890 solar panels on the roof of Star Quality Concrete in downtown San Jose.
Star Quality Concrete’s newest technology manufactures sand and rock for concrete by recycling demolition concrete.
“Recycling old concrete relied heavily on fossil fuels, which also significantly drove up operating costs,” said Jerry Blatt, owner of Star Quality Concrete. “Akeena Solar is building a renewable power system that will help us lower our operating costs and improve our efficiency in a way that is both economically and environmentally beneficial.”
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland