Marriott Promo Benefits Amazon Rainforest
Marriott announced that it will contribute funds to protect the endangered Brazilian Amazonas rainforest on behalf of its customers who book meetings between July 1, 2008 and December 31, 2009.
Marriott says it is following this first in the lodging industry with eco-friendly green meeting products and services that will also enable groups to save water and energy, reduce waste and increase recycling.
The average three-day meeting attended by 1,000 people produces more than 12 tons of trash, uses 200,000 kilowatts of power and consumes 100,000 gallons of water.
Marriott signed an agreement with the Brazilian State of Amazonas last month to commit $2 million to fund an environmental management plan administered by the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation.
Marriott has also set the goal of lowering GHG emissions 2.2 million pounds by 2010.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B