Marriott Promo Benefits Amazon Rainforest
Marriott announced that it will contribute funds to protect the endangered Brazilian Amazonas rainforest on behalf of its customers who book meetings between July 1, 2008 and December 31, 2009.
Marriott says it is following this first in the lodging industry with eco-friendly green meeting products and services that will also enable groups to save water and energy, reduce waste and increase recycling.
The average three-day meeting attended by 1,000 people produces more than 12 tons of trash, uses 200,000 kilowatts of power and consumes 100,000 gallons of water.
Marriott signed an agreement with the Brazilian State of Amazonas last month to commit $2 million to fund an environmental management plan administered by the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation.
Marriott has also set the goal of lowering GHG emissions 2.2 million pounds by 2010.
Energy Manager News
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform
- Fulham Retrofit Kits EPA Approved
- Brookings Study: Net Metering Offers Cost Benefits to All Utility Customers
- Window Films: Low Hanging Fruit for Efficiency Gains
- Some Insurance Companies Invested Too Heavily in Fossil Fuels, says Ceres
- Apple Defends 100% Renewable Energy Claim
- Ontario Investing $900M in Affordable Housing