Marriott Promo Benefits Amazon Rainforest
Marriott announced that it will contribute funds to protect the endangered Brazilian Amazonas rainforest on behalf of its customers who book meetings between July 1, 2008 and December 31, 2009.
Marriott says it is following this first in the lodging industry with eco-friendly green meeting products and services that will also enable groups to save water and energy, reduce waste and increase recycling.
The average three-day meeting attended by 1,000 people produces more than 12 tons of trash, uses 200,000 kilowatts of power and consumes 100,000 gallons of water.
Marriott signed an agreement with the Brazilian State of Amazonas last month to commit $2 million to fund an environmental management plan administered by the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation.
Marriott has also set the goal of lowering GHG emissions 2.2 million pounds by 2010.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend
- Energy Management: The Internet of Things Changes Everything
- Big Biogas Project Underway Down Under
- Kroger, Love’s Sign with LSI Industries